Hi, I'm Karran, a Toronto based artist. I design experiences, photograph moments which never occured and drink tea.
Often, all at the same time.
I have a MFA degree from Cambridge School of Art in the UK which I concentrated in Fine Art Photography and a BFA from Rutgers University in the USA which I concentrated on Graphic Design. Both degrees were finished with Merit.
My most recent job from April 2014 to July 2016 was at the E.R. Burrowes School of Art in Georgetown Guyana. In the 2 years I worked there, I developed and taught the curriculums for Graphic Design and Photography. I also designed and devloped the BSA Student Page for the students to access lectures, relevant news events and their grades. In addition, I helped maintain the school by participating in duties budgets, special events committees and consulting with the Government of Guyana through the Ministry of Education, Department of Culture, Youth & Sport.
Before that, I promoted the art of Photography in Guyana trough events focusing on story telling and engaging discourse for The Photography Sessions from 2014 - 15. In my year as coordinator, I had to liaise with artists and the venue, organise data for promotion, create promotional material, and manage the webpage, which I also designed and developed with the intention of it being a space for research.
I am also a Fine Artist who exhibits internationally in North and South America and Europe. Look through the timeline section for more details.
- Selected exhibiting artist for ArtLanguageLocation 2016, a group installation, Cambridge, UK
- Published the article Narrative Photography in the Guyana Sunday Times Magazine, Georgetown, GY
- Reviewed in The Village Voice for Un | Fixed Homeland, NYC, USA
- Selected exhibiting artist for Un | Fixed Homeland, a photographic exhibition, Newark, NJ, USA
- Coordinator and co-curator of Visions Exhibition 2016, a photographic exhibition, Georgetown, GY
- Selected works published in Ku'Wai Issue 2 December 2015
- Member of the Mashramani 2016 Organising Committee, Georgetown, GY
- Coordinator and Moderator of Photography Sessions: Facades: The Diverse Guyanese Identity at Moray House, Georgetown, GY
- Exhibited Something, Somewhere as a part of ArtLanguageLocation 2015, Cambridge, UK
- Coordinator and Moderator of Photography Sessions: Humans of Guyana at Moray House, Georgetown, GY
- Featured artist in the Guyana Visual Arts Competition and Exhibition at Castillani House, Georgetown, GY
- Placed 3rd in the Photography Category of the Guyana Visual Arts Competition and Exhibition, Georgetown, GY
- Published a featured article in the Guyana Sunday Times, GY
- Moderated the 4th Photography Sessions at Moray House Trust, Georgetown, GY
- Conducted a talk titled Photography and Memory at Moray House Trust, Georgetown, GY
- Designed the visual identity for The Institute of Creative Arts, Georgetown, GY
- The Last Day screened at the Romsey Art Festival and SHINDIG, Cambridge, UK
- Judge of Capture Guyana: The Republic of Guyana Photographic Competition and Exhibition, Georgetown, Guyana